Monday, March 28, 2011

Challenge #168 - What's in a Name? {March 28 - April 10}

Debbi here with what I think will be a fun, fun, fun challenge!
This week, I want you to scrap about YOURSELF, specifically, journal about your name--do you like it, hate it, have nicknames, etc.? Anything about your name is fair game!

Write down the letters in your name, and use items on your page that begin with each of those letters (could be the generic name of the thing or a brand). For the date, use: 3 - three-word title 28 - items (at least)

We are pleased to have another layout by our March guest designer, Marianne Jensen, who was selected as one of our January How Awesome Is Too Awesome winners. To read a little about Marianne, please visit Challenge 167.


And here is Marianne's layout and some insight into her layout, in her words:
When I read this challenge I wished for a short time that I was named with a short name insted of a name with 8 letters! The letters that really made me think was the two N's. My letters used:

M=Maya Road mist
A=Acrylic paint
R=Rhinestone
I=Indie Girl (Sassafras Lass) Paper
A=Adhedsive chipboard
N=Numbers
N=New stuff
E=Echo Park Paper

I think this challenge was fantastic - and I'm so glad I did another BOM-layout :)


And here are the layouts created by the HMITM design team...

Debbi T: I've scrapped about my name before, so I decided to take a different angle for my page. I challenged myself to use the letters in both my first and last name, and here's what I came up with:
D - doily
E - Echo Park (which was perfect since I was working with the April Work in Progress kit, which featured Echo Park's new Playground collection)
B - brads
B - banner
I - ink
T - ticket
E - embossing powder
H - heart sticker
R - rhinestones
A - anchor and arrows (I couldn't decide, so I used both)
N - numbers
I - insects (I was scratching my head trying to think of a second thing for the i, and it came to me that I could use insects, for this thing that bugs me--get it?)


Janet M- This is a great challenge and I enjoyed doing it so much , the only thing I had trouble with is finding any manufacture or embellishment that begins with an N so I went with the Nature look. J- Joliee's and Jenni Bowlin studio- butterflies. A- American crafts Thickers N- Nature E- EK success border punch and embellishments T- Tags and some Tim Holtz ink. Thanks for the fun challenge - it was great. I got my 28 things plus a few more on, I have a lot of rub-ons scattered in the layout.

Journaling is: Janet- like it, love it, hate it? It's a name that I didn't like when I was younger I always thought my middle name would have been better spelled a different way though. I've grown to like it, for one thing nobody usually mispronounces it, they usually can spell it right and not that many people have it. While Janet may be the legal name my favorite names are mom, grandma and granjan. Well worn, well used and always sounds good to my ears.Nicknames I've had though the years, some have lasted longer than others. Probably the most unusual one is the one my father gave me when I was little and he called me wigeon, which is a type of duck. I have no idea where, why or for what reason he gave me that nickname but I did love it when he called me that, maybe it was because I used to follow him around all the time when I was little like a duck does to a mother duck. I'm even comfortable enough to have people call me Jan now. I figure as long as your not calling me late to dinner you can call me anything.
Elizabeth: I totally loved this challenge! At first, I was a bit apprehensive, but once I came up with all the elements, putting the layout together was fun. It was liberating to have the elements spread out on my desk and find a way to put it all together. These were my items... E - Echo park journaling spot (framing my photo) L - label sticker from Jenni Bowlin I - ink around the journaling tag Z - zig zag rubon A - alpha stickers from Basic Grey B - Bo Bunny paper E - eyelets T - thread in the butterfly trail H - heart cardstock Thanks Debbi for the unique challenge!


Anna-Karin: This was so much fun Debbi! I scrapped about various nicknames I have and wrote journaling about them underneath every flap. I also used things related to the names on top of the flaps. My newest nickname is ‘Anka’, which means ‘duck’. I was practicing words with my little nephew on the way back from having fed some ducks, and he thought that ‘Anka’ was a very good abbreviation of my name. He uses it all the time now. Pretty funny. For the letters of my name, I used the following items: Alphabet stamps, Nature Elements, Numbers, Animals, Key, Arrow, Ruler, Ink and Newsprint. Sorry about the crocked photo of the layout.

Amanda - This challenge was fun and...challenging! haha I had THREE As in my name so that got tough, and like Janet, I could not think of any N products. So here's what I used: A - Alphabets, M - Melody Ross Soul Food papers, A - Apple Glimmer Mist, N - Numbers (on sticker), D - Diamond Stickles and A - Adhesive. And I have way more then 28 items (if you count them all individually). So fun...thanks, Debbi!

We hope you'll join us for this fun challenge! To play, and have a shot at being chosen for our How Awesome Is Too Awesome Hall of Fame and creating as a HMITM Guest Designer, just share your layout through Mr. Linky below. We can't wait to see what you create!

2 comments:

blaacraft said...

I loved this challenge - because it really was that!!! I have often looked at your blog for inspiration but can never complete a layout before deadline - well now I have!! Great challenge blog!!

Tammy said...

I'm so glad I discovered this challenge! I really loved creating this layout. Thanks for the ideas and inspriation.