Monday, November 07, 2011

Challenge #184 - Mix it Up (Nov 7 - Nov 20)

Janet here with challenge #184. Remember the rule in fashion - don't wear stripes and plaids together. Well we're breaking that rule in this challenge. Stripes , plaids, dots and flowers. Squares, circles, stars and prints. Mix it up anyway you want to but you need to use at least eight different patterns in this layout and because we want to keep it even more fun, a holiday photo from any holiday. Because this is going to be a happy mixture, the word 'happy' should feature someplace in the layout or title.
We don't want the papers to match the holiday though, that's a no-no!

So here's the challenge:
- Eight different patterns, none to match the holiday
- The word 'happy'
- Any holiday picture and embellishments. ( Embellishments can match the holiday)

We are so happy to have Shaunery Wharton join us as guest designer this month! She does such fabulous work, always with lots of wonderful details. The layout she created for this challenge is absolutely gorgeous. Have a look at her blog to see more of her work. Thank you so much Shaunery!

Here she is:


Bio: I am a stay at home mom to three crazy children. When my oldest was born, I discovered scrap booking only a month later. It was like, this craft was created just for me! I save and keep everything. I've evolved quite a bit since 1994 (yep, nearly 18 years of scrapping) and love the constant change and growth of the industry. I especially enjoy incorporating challenges in my layouts. Sketch's, color, recipes...you name it. These sites continually help me stretch and grow. They have also provided a source of friendships, I've met so many wonderful people via the net over the last two years.

Shaunery: I was so honored to be asked to play at HMITM as a guest designer. I rearranged my whole schedule to get the layout challenge finished but I still was a tad late. But I HAD to play! I do not normally scrap a lot of holiday pages, with the exception of Halloween. So this was intriguing and inspirational. I chose my eight patterns from my scrap box. Orange and brown seemed to be the predominate colors..taking my cue I starting building and layering. The "garland" at the top of my page is inspired by the bead garland my MIL hangs on her mantel each year, I knew I wanted to recreate it. The "matting" of pattern on white, was inspired by my df Jenny who likes to mat w/ black. To bring attention to the Christmas Holiday theme, I used metal Christmas embellishments and my favorite Tim Holtz Santa stamp. If you'd like to see close ups and see my product list, please visit my blog, http://www.shaunerysblog.blogspot.com/.

Many thanks to the crew at HMITM, I'm so tickled that you invited me to play along! Thanks so much!




Janet - I'll probably look at this layout years from now and wonder why I have sailboats and Halloween eyes on a Christmas layout and I can't imagine what someone else may wonder. I had fun creating my own challenge and even though this isn't the best picture it sure captures the search of looking for Santa after he leaves our house Christmas morning.

I based my layout of a Page Maps sketch, I didn't want the different patterned papers to take over the layout so I did keep the areas on them smaller. Talk about using up some old stash I think the Jolee's stickers on this were about the first time they made the embellished ones - and true to the challenges here to use things up the whole package went on the layout.



I had a little fun with this challenge and got two more done, one is of my granddaughter and her first snowman, I used all summer and spring papers on it. The second one is my other daughter's dog Stella dressed up for Halloween using different patterned papers with flowers, plaids and birds.




Anna-Karin: I enjoyed mixing different patterns and used lots of different ones on my layout. I used grey, black, blue and red papers and cut them into tags of two sizes. The tags were distressed a bit and then stitched to the page to form borders at the top and the bottom. They were also embellished with a bit of subtle stamping (so subtle, it is hard to see on the photo). I used a fun photo of me and my sister and the tip of the tail of the dog fleeing the scene of a Christmas photo shoot which didn't go as planned. The title translates ‘Happy?’ Thank you for this awesome challenge Janet!




 Fi - I decided to Challenge myself by doing a card.  I used eight prints from Basic Grey and Webster Scraps and included a the following prints:  music notes, woodgrain, spots, stripes, flowers, swirls, geometric and a general print.  I used the title happy for my card and although the papers are quite Chrismasy I have used it as Birthday card.  Anyway I hope you like my card, its not easy using 8 prints on one card.  Check out my blog for more details.  Great challenge Janet!!!




To play, and have a shot at being chosen for our How Awesome Is Too Awesome Hall of Fame and creating as a HMITM Guest Designer, just share your layout through Mr. Linky below! We can't wait to see what you create!


6 comments:

Debbi Tehrani said...

Beautiful pages, ladies! Really creative work with all those different patterns.

FiKenward said...

Awesome pages ladies and congrats Shaunery on GD your page is stunning.

Shaunery said...

Thank you Debbi! Get that scraproom organized, cuz we miss you!!!

Unknown said...

Fun challenge! thanks!

Amalia said...

love the DT work, great job ladies, congratulations!

Shaunery said...

Awesome submissions ladies!! Way to go!!! So glad folks are playing along!